NutritionNatural mTOR-inhibitors for longevity

Fred

Natural mTOR-inhibitors for longevity

Post by Fred »

This is the section on diet-derived mTOR-inhibitors from a paper concentrating on the synthetic rapalogs like everolimus and rapamycin. Note that these natural derived molecules require fairly high concentration to inhibit mTOR but on the other hand, green tea and turmeric are easy to integrate into your diet. I use 1 tsp of turmeric + a dash of black pepper (the piperine increases curcumin bioavailability) and enjoy several cups of green tea a day.
3.4. Diet-derived natural products
Increasing studies have demonstrated that some diet-derived natural products, including curcumin, resveratrol, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), genistein, 3, 3-diindolylmethane (DIM) and caffeine, may inhibit mTOR signaling directly or indirectly (Table 1) [140-147].

EGCG, the most studied polyphenol component in green tea, is a potent antioxidant that may have therapeutic potential for many disorders including cancer. In the co-cultured keloid fibroblasts and HMC-1 cells, EGCG treatment dose-dependently reduced the increased phosphorylation of Akt, S6K and 4E-BP1 [143]. In both p53 positive and negative human hepatoma cells, EGCG activated AMPK, resulting in the suppression of downstream substrates, including mTOR and 4E-BP1, and a general decrease of mRNA translation [148].

Resveratrol is a polyphenolic flavonoid from grapes and red wine with potential anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, neuroprotective and anticancer properties [149]. In human U251 glioma cells, resveratrol downregulated PI3K/Akt/mTOR-mediated signaling pathway, and combination with rapamycin enhanced resveratrol-induced cell death [141]. In smooth muscle cells (SMC), resveratrol inhibited the proatherogenic oxidized LDL-induced activation of the PI3K/Akt/mTOR/S6K pathway and remarkably suppressed DNA synthesis and proliferation of SMC [142]. Recently it has been described that resveratrol activated AMPK in both ER-positive and ER-negative breast cancer cells, and consequently inhibited mTOR and its downstream 4E-BP1 signaling and mRNA translation. It was also found that the activation of AMPK by resveratrol was due to the induction of Sirtuin type 1 (SIRT1) expression in ER-positive breast cancer cells [150].

Increasing evidence suggested that curcumin may exert its antiproliferative effects by inhibiting mTOR signaling and thus may represent a new class of mTOR inhibitor. Curcumin is a polyphenol natural product isolated from the rhizome of the plant Curcuma longa and is undergoing early clinical trials as a novel anticancer agent [151]. Numerous studies have shown that curcumin inhibited the growth of a variety of cancer cells and showed effectiveness as a chemopreventive agent in animal models of carcinogenesis [152,153]. In our studies, we showed that curcumin inhibited cell growth, induced apoptosis and inhibited the basal or IGF-I-induced motility of rhabdomyosarcoma cells [154]. In numerous cancer cell lines, curcumin inhibited phosphorylation of mTOR and its downstream targets, S6K1 and 4E-BP1, suggesting that curcumin may execute its anticancer effect primarily through blocking mTOR mediated signaling pathways [153,154]. Most recently, we further found that curcumin was able to dissociate raptor from mTOR, leading to inhibition of mTORC1 activity [140].
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2980558/

Newage

Re: Natural mTOR-inhibitors for longevity

Post by Newage »

Fred.
I’m also a big fan of Turmeric and have been for a long time utilising it daily for it’s potent anti inflammatory properties along with its potential ability to help in the never ending fight against cancer.
I take a minimum of 2 heaped teaspoons of a product called Turmerix which has a combination of many beneficial herbs and black pepper, all added to its formula. It uses Turmeric grown in the Kerala region of India and has approximately 6% of Curcumin, one of the main active ingredients.
Other brands only seem to have about about 3%.
Another product to help keep inflammation at bay which as we know, is a precursor to many diseases..
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

It's good to have natural sources,as it will start getting expensive to buy each of these in a pill form.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Newage wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:40 pm I take a minimum of 2 heaped teaspoons of a product called Turmerix which has a combination of many beneficial herbs and black pepper, all added to its formula. It uses Turmeric grown in the Kerala region of India and has approximately 6% of Curcumin, one of the main active ingredients.
Other brands only seem to have about about 3%.
Thank you Newage. We have that product in Sweden too but regular ecological turmeric from the supermarket contains 6% curcumin and costs $2 and 4 cents for a small jar.

Turmerix contains only 60% turmeric by weight so it´s an extremely costly way to get curcumin. Not saying the product is bad, at all. But I´ll keep my supermarket turmeric with 6% curcumin in the pantry for now.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Thanks Fred..
I might just move to Sweden. :lol:
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Yup, I'm the same - I just stick to good old turmeric from the spice section in the grocery store, and I make sure to include it in my curries!

I've tried turmeric lattes and teas as another way to incorporate turmeric into my daily nutrition, but I didn't find them to be very tasty at all, so I've just stuck to putting turmeric into curries.

For those curious, this was the tea that I tried:
https://www.higherlivingherbs.com/all-t ... n-turmeric

It was at various coffee shops that I've tried turmeric lattes (all of which made me go, "hmmm, time to order a regular latte!"), but here's a recipe I found to make your own turmeric latte at home (I might give it a go, seems alright, actually!):
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/turmeric-latte
JL777

Post by JL777 »

I take this 3x a day. And feel it’s an excellent addition to the NMN and Nad+ I feel fantastic thanks Alivebynature
topdog999

Post by topdog999 »

Bioavailablity is the key to acheiving high levels in the target cells for any supplement to work. Strong clinical evidence, especially studies with large sampling sizes are important. Purity of the supplement- what agency verifies this, also important. Supplements don't require the strict scrutiny of the FDA, so we must have a trusted source for our supplements. And of course lab tests which can accurately determine if the supplements are indeed reaching the target cells as intended. With all the current research in biochemistry and molecular biology, we are still at the tip of the iceberg on understanding how these compounds affect complex cellular metabolic processes and are the effects consistent from individuals to individuals. I am a firm believer in NMN, and have been taking it for about 18 months. I do feel better at 66 years than I have felt before taking it. My renal function was decreasing faster than what is the norm for my age, and my other renal metabolic panels showed moderate chronic kidney disease. I did lose 60 lbs, dropped my sodium intake, quit eating processed foods and exercise daily. My renal function is now normal for my age. The nephrologist has no explanation other than the weight loss might be a factor. Legally they cannot tell you your supplement is helping. When I did tell him about my NMN supplementation, he appeared skeptical, as did all my docs. A normal response from the medical profession. Once publically available lab tests can confirm that these supplements are indeed reaching the target cells, we all have to have some degree of skepticism. I do believe in curcumin and resveratrol intake, I do eat lots of blueberries to get pterostilbine naturally. But also take reserveratrol supplementation and pterostilbine. Pterostilbine differs slightly from reserverotrol with a methoxy group instead of a hydroxy group in the resveratrol modecule, making pterostilbine more lipophilic and hence greater bioavailability. Some studies contradict this. Again, as more research is done only time will tell what combinations of supplements can
possibly enhance longevity.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Follow up on our discussion about turmeric...I just read this article about turmeric and lead - key message: monitor the source of your turmeric

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... tudy-says/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
Newage

Post by Newage »

Thanks OzSport.
Both articles on lead levels in Turmeric are very informative and above all “ very scary”..
Goes to show “ the hidden additives in some imported products, just when you think you are on a winner.” :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic