ExerciseExercising While Restricting Calories Could be Bad for Bone Health

AlbertY

Exercising While Restricting Calories Could be Bad for Bone Health

Post by AlbertY »

Exercise and caloricrestriction are both associated with + health outcomes in mice, but when added together seem to be negative for bone health

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2019 ... one-health

Also, it is also bad taking metformin while exercising. But NMN or NR can boost the benefits of exercise.

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
NewLifeScience

Re: Exercising While Restricting Calories Could be Bad for Bone Health

Post by NewLifeScience »

Hmm

I am wondering if this is occurring when things are taking to an extreme.

If i miss a meal or two, i cannot see it being a problem for me when i exercise. I have plenty of energy and i am even a little overweight.

Maybe exercise day should not also be fasting day? In other words, only do heavy exercise on days when one is not fasting.

I wonder if the study in the article followed up to see what was happening in the marrow days later.

It is amazing just how many studies like this are happening... 6 months ago i wasn't aware of any of this..

exciting times!!
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

NewLifeScience wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:27 pm Hmm

I am wondering if this is occurring when things are taking to an extreme.

If i miss a meal or two, i cannot see it being a problem for me when i exercise. I have plenty of energy and i am even a little overweight.

Maybe exercise day should not also be fasting day? In other words, only do heavy exercise on days when one is not fasting.

I wonder if the study in the article followed up to see what was happening in the marrow days later.

It is amazing just how many studies like this are happening... 6 months ago i wasn't aware of any of this..

exciting times!!
Yup, agreed! If I'm playing sport or doing HIIT exercise, then I make sure to eat enough before to fuel my exercise; otherwise, I find that I tire out too quickly and feel super hungry afterwards. The next day is usually a rest period and since I'm not doing too much, I don't eat as much - not a full on fast, but definitely not as much food as the day before. That seems to be working for me so far, knock on wood!
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

This study was looking at the marrow not the bone density. It appears that much more research needs to be done in order to start telling people not to limit calories and exercise. I believe that losing weight has more benefits long term and that the bone can always be dealt with after the weight loss.
FitandHealthyinAZ

Post by FitandHealthyinAZ »

I have always believed that weight gain is often a math issue - the number of calories consumed versus calories burned. There is some research showing that exercising while fasting affects muscle biochemistry and metabolism that's linked to insulin sensitivity and the steady control of blood sugar levels. It could be possible that your body will start breaking down muscle to use protein for fuel. If you're exercising and fasting please be careful and listen to your body.
Newage

Post by Newage »

FitandHealthyinAZ
I believe you are right in essence with weight gain being a maths issue.
Calories in,Calories burned! but I have seen weight drop significantly by restricting calorie intake between 9am and 5pm, then intermittent fasting each day from 5pm until 9am the next day.The weight seems to still drop off with hardly any exercise at all. The telling point is not to eat after 5pm therefore giving an extended period of digestion before retiring.
On another note , most swimmers train on an empty stomach at 5am doing 5,6 or more kilometres each session coming off a sleep fasting scenario and they have no trouble building lean muscle throughout their exercise loading phase and beyond..
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

FitandHealthyinAZ wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:01 pm I have always believed that weight gain is often a math issue - the number of calories consumed versus calories burned. There is some research showing that exercising while fasting affects muscle biochemistry and metabolism that's linked to insulin sensitivity and the steady control of blood sugar levels. It could be possible that your body will start breaking down muscle to use protein for fuel. If you're exercising and fasting please be careful and listen to your body.
well there is also the problem of once you are over weight, it is so much harder to lose weight and keep the weight off.

i consume literally 1/2 the calories i used to consume, and unless i exercise my weight is unchanged.

i am 6' 1" and 220 and holding... but gradually am aiming to get to 190. But this time i want to get there slowly. The most obvious route is restricted carbs and the treadmill.
Newage

Post by Newage »

NewLifeScience.
Running or power walking with poles is your friend here in your weight loss quest.
Running, being one of the most efficient weight reduction exercises. It’s also very important not to eat anything between 5pm and 9am besides water or carbonated water to suppress hunger pangs.
Try it for a week.. and monitor the results. :o
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

I have been doing IF consistently for about 2 years now. I broke my arm (radius) completely in half about 3 months ago. And my bone mending has gone considerably slow according to the x rays. (Still noticeably broken right through)

I may have to put my IF in hiatus while my arm heals. although IF has benefited me in so many other ways This may be the culprit...
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 pm I have been doing IF consistently for about 2 years now. I broke my arm (radius) completely in half about 3 months ago. And my bone mending has gone considerably slow according to the x rays. (Still noticeably broken right through)

I may have to put my IF in hiatus while my arm heals. although IF has benefited me in so many other ways This may be the culprit...
Your IF should not be the issue in healing. You might just need to increase your D levels. It sounds like the osteoblastic activity has been slowed for some reason. Have you looked at using pulsed electromagnetic fields to stimulate the healing?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic