ExerciseClinical trial: Metformin blunts muscle hypertrophy in response to PRT training in older adults

AlbertY

Clinical trial: Metformin blunts muscle hypertrophy in response to PRT training in older adults

Post by AlbertY »

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... acel.13039

These results underscore the benefits of PRT in older adults, but metformin negatively impacts the hypertrophic response to resistance training in healthy older individuals.

Kind of confirmed that it is bad to combine metformin and exercise

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Vandevalk1

Re: Clinical trial: Metformin blunts muscle hypertrophy in response to PRT training in older adults

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Very Interesting and a good read. I was proposing a pitch to my GP to prescribe me metformin but I am heavy into PRT and see this as a detriment now according to this study. I believe the best approach is keep my blood sugar levels low with diet for now.

thanks!
rhett

Re: Clinical trial: Metformin blunts muscle hypertrophy in response to PRT training in older adults

Post by rhett »

I see people theorizing about alternating workouts and metformin, but I’m curious how much separation there needs to be between a metformin dose and a workout.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

rhett wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:22 pm I see people theorizing about alternating workouts and metformin, but I’m curious how much separation there needs to be between a metformin dose and a workout.
The short answer is we don't know yet. But I think you should consider metformin as a mimetic of exercising, it mimics the benefit of exercise through activating AMPK and cheating your body that you are short of energy. If you can exercise intensively every day, you can not benefit much from it and you don't actually need it. If you are obese and sedentary, you might need it and take it when you are not able to exercise.

But don't intentionally stop exercising just for taking metformin. Exercise is better, metformin is just a weaker mimetic with side effects.
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

There is also a landslide of other benefits that come with PRT than just muscle hypertrophy.
PRT is clearly the the better choice of the two if possible.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

AlbertY wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:17 pm https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... acel.13039

These results underscore the benefits of PRT in older adults, but metformin negatively impacts the hypertrophic response to resistance training in healthy older individuals.

Kind of confirmed that it is bad to combine metformin and exercise
I wonder how many of the participants have been adding B12 supplements to their diet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic