NutritionSkin and Collagen

NewLifeScience

Skin and Collagen

Post by NewLifeScience »

Wasn't sure which main category to post this in...

I am aware of the claims about hyaluronic acid which either boosts collagen levels in our skin and / or joints, retains moisture in our skin or both.

But i am wondering if anyone here knows about how NMN or other products can boost collagen levels, or bring them to levels of a younger version of ourselves. I am 52 and just starting to notice certain changes in my face... the dreaded droop approaches.

Keen to see if anyone else has input on this.

ChrisBON

Re: Skin and Collagen

Post by ChrisBON »

I've been reading posts by Fred the dietitian and it seems that Vitamin A and Retinol are our friends

Fred wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:24 pm We should perhaps have a "Skin and hair"-section in the forum for simplicity. Tretinoin or retinol is for skin repair (collagen, elastin and GAGs). Tretinoin is also sometimes used in hair-preservation formulas as a penetration enhancer for the drug minoxidil.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

I've read in the past that hyaluronic acid is good topically - here's a quick article about it:

https://www.elle.com/uk/beauty/skin/a35 ... s-it-work/

I don't know if it's as good as retinol or if it's just a "buzz ingredient", though...I'm not much of a skin care product person, I just stick to good old sunscreen and a hat! :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hyaluronic acid can't penetrate skin. It can only moisturise the outer layers. That is why HA fillers are injected into the dermis.

But retinoids can turn on the genes, HAS, for HA production along with collagen and elastin in the dermis.
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

Supplementing vitamin C can increase the synthesis of type I collagen, the most abundant collagen in the body (DePhillipo 2018).
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Fred wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:40 pm Hyaluronic acid can't penetrate skin. It can only moisturise the outer layers. That is why HA fillers are injected into the dermis.

But retinoids can turn on the genes, HAS, for HA production along with collagen and elastin in the dermis.
Fascinating, cheers Fred! Quick question...in regards to retinoids, I've read in the past that it was not advised for pregnant women to use retinoids - what is the main reason for that?
Fred

Post by Fred »

OzSport wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm
Fred wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:40 pm Hyaluronic acid can't penetrate skin. It can only moisturise the outer layers. That is why HA fillers are injected into the dermis.

Fascinating, cheers Fred! Quick question...in regards to retinoids, I've read in the past that it was not advised for pregnant women to use retinoids - what is the main reason for that?
The truth? Fear of unfounded lawsuits from patients. Oral high dose vitamin A is teratogenic and can cause birth defects.

There's been zero cases of a retinoid cream causing that. It simply cannot raise the level of vitamin A in the blood high enough, barely at all.

So. The American justice system is the short answer.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Fred wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm
OzSport wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm

The truth? Fear of unfounded lawsuits from patients. Oral high dose vitamin A is teratogenic and can cause birth defects.

There's been zero cases of a retinoid cream causing that. It simply cannot raise the level of vitamin A in the blood high enough, barely at all.

So. The American justice system is the short answer.
Ah, very interesting, thanks Fred! :D
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Macrobian wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:54 pm Supplementing vitamin C can increase the synthesis of type I collagen, the most abundant collagen in the body (DePhillipo 2018).
Are you referring to oral vitamin c or a vitamin c serum?
Fred

Post by Fred »

ChrisBON wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 pm
Macrobian wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:54 pm Supplementing vitamin C can increase the synthesis of type I collagen, the most abundant collagen in the body (DePhillipo 2018).
Are you referring to oral vitamin c or a vitamin c serum?
I'm not Macrobian. Both stimulate collagen synthesis. But topical vitamin C gives you more local protection against the solar radiation in daylight that ages the skin. You get more vitamin C in the skin topically than orally.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic