NAD+Alcohol consumption, NAD+ and mithocondrial health: scientific studies

daviddean

Alcohol consumption, NAD+ and mithocondrial health: scientific studies

Post by daviddean »

There is a direct effect of alcohol consumption and mithocondrial health.
Here are some interesting scientific studies, where is clear how much is important to mantain an high level of NAD+ at cellular level to prevent alcoholism or help with hangover.

Alcohol (Etanol) appears to be a consuming factor of NAD+, so impairs the energy production of OXPHOS (Oxidative phosphorylation) and the electron transport chain (ETC). So is critical, to protect the efficiency of this energy pathways of cellular energy production.
The following studies analyze diverse topics on the alcohol consumption effects in several human organs and demonstrates the direct partecipation of mitochondria as potential target of compounds that can be used to prevent therapies for alcohol abusers.

Alcohol and Mitochondria: A Dysfunctional Relationship
JAN B. HOEK, ALAN CAHILL, and JOHN G. PASTORINO
[FULL TEXT HERE https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih ... s16822.pdf]

Cellular and Mitochondrial Effects of Alcohol Consumption
Salvador Manzo-Avalos and Alfredo Saavedra-Molina
[FULL TEXT HERE https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... -04281.pdf]

Status Report Concerning the Use of Megadose Nicotinic Acid in Alcoholics
Russell F. Smith, M.D.1
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

A Five-Year Field Trial of Massive Nicotinic Acid Therapy of Alcoholics in Michigan
RUSSELL F. SMITH, M.D. 1
http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/j ... 4-p327.pdf

Interesting book on the correlation between NAD+ and alcoholism
Addiction: The Dark Night of the Soul/ NAD+: The Light of Hope

Fred

Re: Alcohol consumption, NAD+ and mithocondrial health: scientific studies

Post by Fred »

This 45-year old observational study had no controls and no placebo and since Russel F Smith published his observation in 1974 no one has reproduced it or continued to pursue human OR animal studies on high dose nicotinic acid in alcoholics.

He seems biased to believe in his own intervention judging by the language in that 1974 paper. Not a neutral, scientifically oriented or critical piece.

There is no evidence that NAD precursors can "prevent alcoholism" as you claim.

High dose nicotinic acid has been used for decades in lipid-disorders. If it had any special salutary effects in alcoholics I would think physicians would have noticed that during 40 years of use.

We should be very sceptical of non-corroborated anecdotal observations like this. More data is needed. A clinical trial in alcoholics with a control group and placebo at minimum. Papers like this are anecdotal hearsay.
daviddean

Post by daviddean »

Fred, I appreciate your feedback as "Registered dietitian" but, with my all respect, my greater credit goes to researchers and to the studies I have reported.
The correlation between alcohol assumption and mithocondrial dysfunction is proved scientifically.

Its not my idea, is possible to read the reports and the books by the Orthomolecular Professor of Psychiatry Abraham Offer: this is just one of his books:
https://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Cure-Alc ... B01EVXAF6A

Quotation from the book: "Alcoholics suffer from a nutrient deficiency, especially vitamin B3. This work outlines the nutritional factors proven successful in treating alcoholism. It can help those who suffer from alcohol addiction, their friends and loved-ones, and those in the relevant helping professions."
Note: at his time, only vitamin B3 was available as precursor of NAD+. No NR or NMN.

I report the presentation of the book I cited (Addiction: The Dark Night of the Soul/ NAD+: The Light of Hope):
"By delivering intravenous infusions of NAD+-a natural coenzyme of niacin-her treatment enables patients to kick opiates, alcohol, benzodiazepines, methamphetamines, and more, in 10 short days-with minimal withdrawal symptoms or cravings. She explains-in laymen's terms-what is known thus far about why NAD+ is effective, and shares the inspirational stories of people who have journeyed through addiction's "dark night of the soul" and found their way to health, wholeness, and freedom once again."

Where is the truth? Anybody here can attest that assuming vit B3 as niacin or nicotinamide, or other NAD+ precursors, permits to do not suffer from heavy hangovers. Could be a correlation between NAD+ and alcohol? Hmm?
Fred

Post by Fred »

daviddean wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 am
The correlation between alcohol assumption and mithocondrial dysfunction is proved scientifically.

Its not my idea, is possible to read the reports and the books by the Orthomolecular Professor of Psychiatry Abraham Offer
Alcohol has effects on the mitochondria, sure. But there´s no evidence suggesting that replenishing NAD treats or prevents reoccurrence of alcoholism.

Even if NAD precursors lessens the symptoms of alcohol intoxication that doesn´t mean it treats alcoholism.

And just because alcoholism leads to vitamin B deficiencies that doesn´t mean that taking said B-vitamins treat alcoholism. They treat the B-vitamin deficiency CAUSED by alcoholism. You are making logical somersaults.

Abraham Hoffer's old theories on alcoholism and nicotinic acid are quaint but doesn't provide proof of anything.

There's no title called "orthomolecular professor". Orthomolecular is just a made up word for treating diseases with vitamins. It never got traction and is only used by alternative therapy people these days.

Where are the clinical trials that show remission of alcoholism with nicotinic acid or other NAD precursors? Answer: they don't exist.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Fred you have to admit it would be a fun study to actually complete with correct standards and protocols in place. I have heard many people talking about how NAD is the answer for any addiction but no one can produce solid research. In order for this type of treatment to be considered main stream money will need to back research projects like this. I look forward to your input.
Fred

Post by Fred »

It would absolutely be interesting if someone did a study on NAD-therapy and addiction so we could get evidence for a possible effect of treatment or lack thereof.

What is the proposed mechanism of action in the treatment of addiction? Is it supposed to lessen withdrawal or the drug-seeking behaviour in itself? And how?
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Fred here is an article and a book you might find interesting on alcohol and NAD

O’Holleran, P. (1961). DPN in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of drug addictions. West. J. Surg. Obst. Gyn. 69, 213–215.

[BOOK] Addiction—the Dark Night of the Soul NAD+ the Light of Hope
PN Mestayer - 2019 - books.google.com
In the pages of this book, Paula Norris Mestayer shares her remarkable story of 18 years of
work treating the brain disease of addiction. By delivering intravenous infusions of NAD+—a
natural coenzyme of niacin—her treatment enables patients to kick opiates, alcohol,
benzodiazepines, methamphetamines, and more, in 10 short days—with minimal withdrawal
symptoms or cravings. She explains—in laymen's terms—what is known thus far about why
NAD+ is effective, and shares the inspirational stories of people who have journeyed …
Fred

Post by Fred »

Drdavid wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm Fred here is an article and a book you might find interesting on alcohol and NAD
Thank you but a single article from 1961 does not incite confidence. Sorry for not being a believer when faced with no evidence ^^

I would like to see a double-blind placebo-controlled randomized trial with sham infusions of saline + perhaps a small dose of nicotinic acid with the placebo if needed to mask any IV reactions in the active treatment group.

When it comes to books, anecdotes can be interesting but they don´t really prove anything.

Both the practitioners and the patients can be wholly convinced that something works when it, in fact, doesn´t (see parasitical "cleanses", electromagnetic field "healing" bracelets and other New Age quackery).

I still haven´t seen any evidence of using NAD successfully in the treatment of addiction. Just PR-material. Sorry, but I just can´t embrace non-evidence based anecdotal material when it is not followed by real rigorous independent scientific exploration.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic