NutritionThe Sprinting Challenge.

Newage

Re: The Sprinting Challenge.

Post by Newage »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:52 am I will post my contact info if anyone is interested.
I find it hard to understand that the majority of people or athletes working out and training in the States do not use Strava?
It is widely used over here..

Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Do you use it Newage?

I’ve had it for a long time but only recently started using it once I added friends that want to Have friendly competition against each other.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

Newage wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:07 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:52 am I will post my contact info if anyone is interested.
I find it hard to understand that the majority of people or athletes working out and training in the States do not use Strava?
So this is a social networking/tracking app?

I guess it would be cool if you need the motivation. I work differently, it takes me forever to get back on the treadmill for one run.. then i just start every second day and sometimes consecutive days for months with no issues.

I guess i wasn't in as bad as sxhape as i thought, i was easily able to do a 7 minute mile for the first go. :)
Newage

Post by Newage »

CeeJayBee wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:04 pm
Newage wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:07 pm
So this is a social networking/tracking app?

I guess it would be cool if you need the motivation. I work differently, it takes me forever to get back on the treadmill for one run.. then i just start every second day and sometimes consecutive days for months with no issues.

I guess i wasn't in as bad as sxhape as i thought, i was easily able to do a 7 minute mile for the first go. :)
That’s a good result first up.
You should be aiming for a 6 min mile in the long term..from your first run you would easily be capable of that..
Newage

Post by Newage »

CeeJayBee.
I think you can give credit to Alive By Nature products for you being able to run a 7 min mile first up on the treadmill.
From my coaching experience, that would not normally be obtainable after a long period of not running.
You would normally create high lactate levels early in the run by way of the body not being conditioned and you would normally experience muscle restrictions and soreness about the initial 700 to 1000 metre mark...
Good job.. keep up the running now that you have started.
Interesting.. :idea:
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am Does anyone in here use Strava? It is a social networking app based around athletes and their workouts. It’s a fun way to keep some of those boring or monotonous exercises exciting by adding a little competitiveness as you can challenge friends. I figure it might be a good bonding tactic for some of us regulars on here that love talking about or exercises. I find it holds me a little bit more accountable for my daily choices as my strava friends can see what I did and did not do.
I don't use Strava (I don't run or cycle enough, haha!), but a couple of people at work who do really like it. No issues with the app from what I've heard!

Another thing to try to start running regularly if you're keen is to attend ParkRun events (https://www.parkrun.com, depends if there is a chapter in your city). It's a weekly run at a local park which is organised by volunteers, and you actually get timed at a each run so that you can track your runs! It's free, and a good way to meet people and get fit.
Newage

Post by Newage »

OzSport wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:38 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am Does anyone in here use Strava? It is a social networking app based around athletes and their workouts. It’s a fun way to keep some of those boring or monotonous exercises exciting by adding a little competitiveness as you can challenge friends. I figure it might be a good bonding tactic for some of us regulars on here that love talking about or exercises. I find it holds me a little bit more accountable for my daily choices as my strava friends can see what I did and did not do.
I don't use Strava (I don't run or cycle enough, haha!), but a couple of people at work who do really like it. No issues with the app from what I've heard!

Another thing to try to start running regularly if you're keen is to attend ParkRun events (https://www.parkrun.com, depends if there is a chapter in your city). It's a weekly run at a local park which is organised by volunteers, and you actually get timed at a each run so that you can track your runs! It's free, and a good way to meet people and get fit.
Park Runs are a great concept and very well organised each weekend over a 5 kilometre course with individual timing. A great way to gauge your natural improvement as you get fitter...One of the success stories in Australia for the “Weekend Warriors”.You against the clock, with a large group of people normally running or walking..your choice. 🏃‍♂️👍
Not sure if it is international or not?
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

Thanks folks!

I think I have done 5.5 minute miles in the past... i don't think i could get close to that now.

It had been 8 months since my last run... and i pushed it (likely too much) to get that seven minute mark. I do a little trick... i tend to have the incline up at about 15% for my last third, then keep the speed up while i reduce incline.

So... booyah!!!
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

OzSport wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:38 pm

This is a really cool idea ozsport! No chapter in my area but sounds like a great way to meet people with the same interests!
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

I’ve been getting into a more cardio rich routine as of late and just being out on the trails is a great way to meet athletes that I can connect with. I didn’t realize it at first but they have their own community out there in the trails.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic